Saturday, November 13, 2010

Manly Men

Has anyone noticed that in Migillat Esther (first half) everybody looks feminine? Especially when the eunuchs show up -- they are slender and have long, voluptuous eyelashes... just the look [American} women strive for!

Upon reflection, I realized that the author may be making a social commentary on the interconnection that exists among all humans. When I was about five years old, I told my mom that babies are babies and they don't become boys or girls 'til later. That's what I thought! Babies didn't have a sex, they were little smelly crying things that eat mushed up food and get more attention than you (*note: I'm the oldest in my house). The author must be saying, "People are people."

It also could be the fact that these people tend to come from a similar climate, so their facial bone structures have adapted to the heat and sun. They have thick, dark hair to protect their scalps from harmful UV rays and to insulate their scalps; beautiful, black eyelashes to keep sand out of their eyes; angular noses to accommodate the dry air (big nose = big surface area of mucous membrane = better breathing and sinus function).

But then I thought -- wait, if babies are babies that turn into people who are people, then why don't all of them look like men?

Sadly, the best theory I can come up with is that women are much more attractive aesthetically speaking than men are. Big eyes, nice lips, a curvy figure... who thinks this is a bad thing?

Comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment