Saturday, November 13, 2010

Crazy world.

In Migillat Esther, the king has a harem and a wife. Of course, all those wives were a sign of prestige and wealth; many people cannot afford to feed and care for so many people. So many wives equals many monies.

Let's consider the modern housewife stereotype:

-She cooks breakfast
-She cleans up breakfast
-She gets the kids from point A to point B
-She drives home and makes lunch for her husband (who, in WI, in the meantime, of course, has been chugging Miller Lites all morning. -OR- He leaves for his 9-5 job. If I'm gonna make fun of anyone, may as well make fun of everyone.)
-She takes a minute or two to herself to shower?
-Maybe she eats breakfast herself...

What I'm getting at is that doing EVERYTHING is hard work! Why not split it up among many parties? The only thing I'm not a fan of, though, is that we don't seem to see the king doing a whole lot. There are many scenes of him in bed. He lies there while the pretty women (a new one each night)... erm... deliver pleasure, if you will. He never seems to get up and do any real, get-your-hands-dirty type work. Work work, ya know, let's go help those guys with my crops, let's help my wife do dishes.

These days, nobody has servants OR harems. Why did they get both then, and neither now?

Because society is a terrible, cruel, and, to be blunt, UNFAIR PLACE.

Also, because in American society, we marry the pretty people instead of the let's-work-together people.

One could argue that now we have fewer children due to modern birth control methods, so theoretically speaking, there is less to take care of. That said, we have less family and more house. More yard. More junk, more clutter, more clothes. Did I say more? You understand. There should be some adjustment in society to help people maintain all their STUFF and SPACE and CATS.

Now that we have the interwebs, there is a solution:
I just learned of this last year, and I think it's silly, so I will share. I guess one time my *insert relative here* was perusing craig's list and discovered that people can actually be hired to clean your house wearing little to no clothing (it comes with a "look but don't touch" clause). I was going to post a link to a job ad, because I thought it might bring amusement to some, but after a brief search, could not find one. But it's out there.

Crazy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment